I haven’t made these bad boys to perfection yet, but this was the closest I got. Found the original recipe on Willie’s Kitchen’s Facebook page and I got the look I was after but the taste was a wee ‘yeasty‘ so might have to reduce the amount of yeast next time (originally 2 and 1/4 tsp). Also, I would suggest adding a tad bit of salt to taste. What I am going to do now is to tweak the recipe in this post. I hope you will find this recipe helpful.
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp yeast
1 cup milk
1 large egg
1/4 tsp salt
- Put all dried ingredients (except yeast) into mixing bowl and mix thoroughly
- In a separate cup/bowl warm milk and add yeast and stir
- Add wet ingredients including egg to the dried ingredients and knead into soft dough
- Add a little bit of water if dough is too stiff.
- Cover dough with cling film and place in an oven tray filled with warm water and place into warm (should be off/ or previously heated) oven until dough rises.
- Heat oil in deep pot and then scoop mixture into generous sizes, gently dropping them into hot oil. Start with small medium scoops and adjust if necessary.
- Fry until golden brown on all sides turning them frequently